Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparrow SquadHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Great Raccoon Trap Miscalculation!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

The Great Raccoon Trap Miscalculation! Empty
PostSubject: The Great Raccoon Trap Miscalculation!   The Great Raccoon Trap Miscalculation! EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 6:14 pm

So I placed a coon sized box trap in my front yard and set it with bread as bait. I didn't think a sparrow could trigger the trap so I suspended a tape measure over the trigger pan with fishing line and ran it through my front window then tied it to a chair. All I had to do was cut the line and the trigger was sprung, surely to trap some little nasties.

My ultimate goal was to selectively trap males to give to some folks around here to use as decoys to get their spring trapping under way, but I was outsmarted again. Everything went just as expected- they grabbed the bread close to the side of the cage before they were comfortable to move in on the bread on the inside. To get to the bread on the inside though, they simply squeezed through the wire on the side of the cage and flew out the door. The spaces in the wire were a couple inches long and only just slightly taller than the width of my index finger. I'll post some pictures when the wife brings my camera back.

This wasn't a total bust though, at least I now know they can get through any hole as tall as the width of my finger! That can actually come in handy in the field!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sparrowsquad.com

The Great Raccoon Trap Miscalculation!
Page 1 of 1