Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparrow SquadHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

box trap

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Monty

Monty

box trap Empty
PostSubject: box trap   box trap EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 1:09 pm

I put one of my box traps out last night on a post to let it "pretend" it's a birdhouse. Caught one female sparrow this morning. They don't survive trauma very well. She'd only been in the trap about 20 or 30 minutes, and when I took her out, she died about five minutes later.

But, while I was out checking and cleaning my trail, a male sparrow got in the box trap. When I took him out, he was still very much alive. I put him in my repeater with food and water. Hopefully he'll draw more in. I'm going to put a large shelf on the outside wall of my shed so I can put the trap, off the ground, on it, and see if they come to it any better.

And, I saw several bluebirds while checking my boxes!
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

box trap Empty
PostSubject: Re: box trap   box trap EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 4:34 pm

Sounds like a winner all around!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sparrowsquad.com
Bret

Bret

box trap Empty
PostSubject: Re: box trap   box trap EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 5:52 pm

Alright! Great to hear about the HOSPs and the bluebirds. I just wanted to make sure that you clipped the male HOSP's wings so that nothing happens. You don't want to risk them getting away!
Back to top Go down
Monty

Monty

box trap Empty
PostSubject: Re: box trap   box trap EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 7:00 pm

No worries there. I've only had one or two get away. I've learned my lesson(s). If I'm in the field, I have a large trash bag with me to put the trap into. Then I open it. If the bird gets out, it only ends up trapped again in the trash bag where I can identify it, and either release or destroy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

box trap Empty
PostSubject: Re: box trap   box trap Empty

Back to top Go down

box trap
Page 1 of 1