Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparrow SquadHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dealing with trapped non-target species

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

Dealing with trapped non-target species Empty
PostSubject: Dealing with trapped non-target species   Dealing with trapped non-target species EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 4:27 am

As mentioned in another post, I trapped a morning dove today (still not sure how it fit itself in the trap). Although I think the dove may be the dumbest bird in the animal kingdom, I enjoy their coos and they pose no problem in my book. Although I wasn't home I was lucky enough to have my wife release the dove for me and send it on it's way.

What we all have to remember when we trap is that there are strict laws governing how to deal with protected species. It's sort of like fishing-you don't know exactly what you're going to catch yet there are fish that you aren't allowed to keep. If you catch a protected fish you release it immediately with the least amount of stress as possible. The same rules apply to bird trapping. Generally speaking English Sparrows, Starlings, Pigeons, and most blackbirds (cowbirds, grackles, etc..) are fair game. In some states the Crow is a game animal or simply flat out protected, which is a good example as to why you should check your local laws prior to starting a trapping program.

If we fail to obey the law and respect those who wish to not witness what we do then we are ultimately a bigger enemy to cause than the sparrow is.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sparrowsquad.com
grosehexe

grosehexe

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with trapped non-target species   Dealing with trapped non-target species EmptyThu May 06, 2010 12:22 pm

I had a couple of native birds in a trap but for now I did not have any incidents that end in mortality. I check on traps all the time and stop them with rock when I am gone- to let sparrows get to the food easily and make them used to getting food from it.
Most times I had natives they were young birds- two doves stuck in elevator trap and one house finch (baby)
Doves are dum ! All of them I release almost immediately. bounce
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with trapped non-target species   Dealing with trapped non-target species EmptyMon May 17, 2010 1:55 pm

Yes, doves are the bird equivalent of the village idiot!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sparrowsquad.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with trapped non-target species   Dealing with trapped non-target species Empty

Back to top Go down

Dealing with trapped non-target species
Page 1 of 1