Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparrow SquadHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Ert sparrow traps

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Monty

Monty

Van Ert sparrow traps Empty
PostSubject: Van Ert sparrow traps   Van Ert sparrow traps EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 10:25 pm

Hello everyone!

Yes, I know it's been a long, long time since I've been here, and I am sorry. But, I'm back, and with a vengeance. Last summer I noticed several pairs of blues and swallows sitting on lines along a stretch of county road about five miles from mom's house. So, I decided to place some nest boxes there.

Both, the blues and swallows took to the boxes immediately. Unfortunately, soon thereafter, so did the sparrows. I didn't find any dead blues or swallows, which I was very grateful for. But, the sparrows were too wary of my box traps that my late-neighbor made, and I only caught a couple of females. No males. Or, did I catch a male? Well anyway, I caught far fewer males than I wanted to.

I haven't been able to find the original Huber inbox traps that my boxtraps were constructed from, using the same trigger design, except for blueprints how to build the Hubers. I was unsuccessful at it. So I turned my attention elsewhere to other traps.

I found the Van Erts. In 1-D on the website, it's hard to tell how they work. So when I received my three traps, I saw that they are spring-loaded. Put two anchor screws inside the front of the box to hang the trap on; pull the spring-loaded trap door down; raise the trigger up until the tiny hook catches on the top edge of the trap's door and it's set. Carefully close the box and wait. I really cannot wait to try these!

I have at least three males I have to catch this year, and now I have three traps to work their magic. I'm horribly excited! I was on B&B recently, talking about my new traps, and one gentleman replied: We should start a new forum on here: the Spatzie Squad. I remembered the Sparrow Squad and told him I would see if you were still here. Glad you are!

Sparrows, here we come! hahahahahahaha

Monty
Back to top Go down

Van Ert sparrow traps
Page 1 of 1