Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparrow SquadHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A new strategy

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Monty

Monty

A new strategy Empty
PostSubject: A new strategy   A new strategy EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 9:50 pm

I wanted to try this last year, but didn't get around to it. Starlings, more than sparrows, always try to find every nook and cranny in a building to get into and build a nest. I hung my starling box-trap on a nail on the side of my shed. I caught one starling and two sparrows. That was great, yes, but I can do better.

I wanted to find a way to give the illusion of a hole being in my shed for them to get into, but get caught instead. I found a way!

I built a small shelf for the trap to sit on inside the shed. I put it on the shelf at an angle and guesstimated where the trap's entrance hole would line up on the wall. (Before all of this, however, Russell had put an actual overhanging roof on it to simulate a nestbox in every way. Instead of cutting into his fine work, I turned the roof around so that the overhang was over the back, and the trap will sit flush against the wall).

Okay. Having drawn a rough circle, roughly the size of the trap's entrance, I made 1/4" (or bigger) holes in a circle with my drill, then cut the hole out with the saber saw. I had to remove the shelf, temporarily, while making the hole in the wall. I replaced the shelf, set the trap --up-end it so that the trap's door is up against the roof, and the wire trigger is beneath it when the trap is stood upright, again. Placed it on the shelf, lined up the two entry holes, snug it down to the shelf with a small bunjee strap, and, it's on!

I have my starling trap ready, and a sparrow box-trap hanging on a nail on the front of the shed. I'm bound to get something in them tomorrow. Have the repeater baited with white millet --only. Squirrels won't touch it.
Let's see what happens!
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

A new strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new strategy   A new strategy EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 10:10 pm

Great idea Monty, sounds like that should work well. I would try that but if I put holes in anything around here I'd catch a frying pan when I wasnt looking.

There are traps designe to use in dryer vent holes that might work well for that sort of situation. You're right, starlings will find a hole if there is one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sparrowsquad.com

A new strategy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Bird Discussion :: Invasive Bird Species Management-
Jump to:  

web counter html code
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com