Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparrow SquadHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

clipping decoy's wings

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bret

Bret

clipping decoy's wings Empty
PostSubject: clipping decoy's wings   clipping decoy's wings EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 12:28 am

Hi everyone, I just thought of something that may be of importance to some of you who use traps that require decoy birds. Unfortunately, another fellow sparrow trapper in my area had some animal knock over her repeater trap and the decoy birds were gone the next morning....meaning trap-shy birds. Cats, raccoons, oppossums and even severe wind can easily knock over or flip these traps, so if it does happen, the HOSP can't get free if their wings are clipped. You may even find them nearby in a bush being that they can't go very far. Also, this does not hurt the HOSP at all, It's like a haircut to us. I always clip my decoy's wings, so that if they do get out for whatever reason, I know that they will either die, I can find them easily or that I know their won't be any trap-shy birds around.
Thats all!
Bret
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

clipping decoy's wings Empty
PostSubject: Re: clipping decoy's wings   clipping decoy's wings EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 1:26 am

Great advice Bret. Anything that you can do to eliminate the chance of trap shy birds is a good thing, especially because one trap shy bird can mean the whole colony may become trap shy-as I've learned the hard way. Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.sparrowsquad.com

clipping decoy's wings
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Bird Discussion :: Invasive Bird Species Management-
Jump to:  

web counter html code
Forum free | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com