Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparrow SquadHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The big return

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

The big return Empty
PostSubject: The big return   The big return EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 8:09 pm

So once I trapped these last two sparrows the whole colony disappeared. It seems as though my trapping pressure was an act of exclusion as these birds caught on. I left the trap out there for 3 days after the last success and all I saw out there was my loyal village idiot doves. I removed the trap today to see what happened and literally within 5 minutes the entire colony of approximately 30 birds magically reappeared.

If you find yourself short of targets I recommend removing the traps and letting the sparrows get comfortable again. I would imagine that when you begin to trap again you may want to use a different trap type to avoid reminding them of their demise. I have no idea what the memory capabilities of these boogers is but I would stay on the safe side until we find out for sure.

I will probably try to reintroduce the same trap tomarrow and then repeat the steps a couple of times to get a good idea of how well they keep track of these things and for how long. The results of this test should turn out to be quite beneficial for our trapping efforts.

Wish me luck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sparrowsquad.com
Monty

Monty

The big return Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big return   The big return EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 6:21 pm

Until I get some baiting feathers for the trap during the nesting season, I'm going to Big R and get a small amount of white millet. The squirrels don't touch it.
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

The big return Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big return   The big return EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Looks like they still don't like that trap, might have to introduce some other types and see if that takes their mind off of it.
Back to top Go down
Monty

Monty

The big return Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big return   The big return EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 6:54 pm

Squirrels made a liar out of me. When I brought the repeater in the other day, there was a squirrel licking up all of the white millet. Come on feathers! hahahahahahahahahahha
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

The big return Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big return   The big return EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 4:30 pm

HaHa oops!
Back to top Go down
Babsi

Babsi

The big return Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big return   The big return EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 5:03 pm

I would never empty the trap completely, leave a male and a female in there, they will attract more. I feed mine with scratch and they have water. My traps have not been empty in years.
Barbara
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

The big return Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big return   The big return EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 11:22 pm

That's true for repeaters, but I don't use repeaters at home so decoys don't work. You're right though, repeaters work best when they have a decoy in there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The big return Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big return   The big return Empty

Back to top Go down

The big return
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Bird Discussion :: Invasive Bird Species Management-
Jump to:  

web counter html code