Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparrow SquadHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I did some math

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

I did some math Empty
PostSubject: I did some math   I did some math EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 1:32 pm

Based off of averages and theory, I deducted that a flock of 100 sparrows consisting of an average 60% females can reproduce an average of 1400 birds in two years. That number is reduced by 30 for every female that you trap.
What this means is you need to trap 47 birds in two years in order to maintain control of one single flock of sparrows.

This seems like a small amount doesn't it? It sure is motivating to me, especialy if you have a repeater. Now another thing to remember is that there are rarely 100 birds in a single flock as this tends to happen more at agricultural sites and hardware stores than at your home, so control is quite possible and within reach.

Just remember to trap year round to ge the strangers every once in a while and you should be on top of your population soon!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sparrowsquad.com
Janec

I did some math Empty
PostSubject: Re: I did some math   I did some math EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 3:58 pm

Holy cow that's alot of sparrows. You're right though that doesn't seem to be alot of sparrows that you would have to trap.
Back to top Go down
Bret

Bret

I did some math Empty
PostSubject: Re: I did some math   I did some math EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 10:44 pm

so what would be considered an agricultural area? I live in the country, with single homes spread out across the entire property of 320 acres.
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

I did some math Empty
PostSubject: Re: I did some math   I did some math EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 10:52 pm

Generally anywhere farming occurs. The reasoning behind the larger numbers in these areas is that the HOSPs feed on the spilled grain from the harvesting process as well as around silos and other storing methods.

Since you're rural if there aren't any of these agricultural sites in your area you should generally see fewer numbers of sparrows than in urban areas even, mostly due to a larger concentration of feeders and food waste improperly discarded.

Of course that's just statistics, have you seen large flocks around your home?
Back to top Go down
Bret

Bret

I did some math Empty
PostSubject: Re: I did some math   I did some math EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 11:38 pm

I have none around my home (knock on wood). I do all my trapping at work and at friend's homes. I did have a male HOSP at my house one day and he was gone the next...never seen him since and that was years ago... I pulled out the shotgun, but he was gone by the time I went out in the front yard. Too many bluebirds here to put at risk. You can not drive down the road without seeing at least 5-10 bluebirds on the wires.
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

I did some math Empty
PostSubject: Re: I did some math   I did some math EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 12:03 am

Looks like the statistics hold up there, you are a lucky man indeed. It's awesome that you help others even though you don't have them at your home, quite admirable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I did some math Empty
PostSubject: Re: I did some math   I did some math Empty

Back to top Go down

I did some math
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Bird Discussion :: Invasive Bird Species Management-
Jump to:  

web counter html code