Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparrow SquadHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hello from Indiana

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Monty

Monty

Hello from Indiana Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Indiana   Hello from Indiana EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 9:11 pm

My name is Monty, as most of you already know. I've been a bird watcher since my early teens. My parents began winter-feeding the birds in the ' 70's when I was a kid. Didn't take long until the den window became my entertainment. I would watch the birds eat from morning until night.

I don't know exactly when I became interested in cavity-nesting birds. I think it was when I was watching a house wren building its nest in a tree cavity down by the lake while my cousin and I were fishing. I found the bird in the bird book, read up on it, and began trying to attract it to our backyard.

Some time (years) later, I'd read an article about "Beginning your own Bluebird Trail". I was intrigued. I began reading all the books --this was before the internet-- about bluebirds I could find. My obsession had begun. Interestingly enough, I don't remember much mention about house sparrows, their damage, or their control in those books. It was firsthand knowledge.

Thankfully, when I began my fledgling trail, I had two great neighbors that I walked with down our "old mile road", on a daily basis. It was then that I picked their brains; "what to do?" Unfortunately, Russell passed away almost ten years ago now, and Jim is nearing 90. The days of talking birds with these two great neighbors are over. I'll miss it when Jim, too, is gone.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here, glad to be of any help I can offer, and more than happy to learn what I can from others.

Monty
Back to top Go down
Paleface

Paleface

Hello from Indiana Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Indiana   Hello from Indiana EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Monty,

Great Introduction! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://jean-livingsimple.blogspot.com/
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

Hello from Indiana Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Indiana   Hello from Indiana EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 10:34 pm

Whew, that was one heck of an intro!

Monty you have been a great addition to community and I look forward to our time to come!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sparrowsquad.com
HospHater

Hello from Indiana Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Indiana   Hello from Indiana EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Welcome
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello from Indiana Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Indiana   Hello from Indiana Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from Indiana
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Welcome New Members :: Introductions-
Jump to:  

web counter html code