Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparrow SquadHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Feathers anyone??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mikenlinda
Purple Martin Adviser

Feathers anyone?? Empty
PostSubject: Feathers anyone??   Feathers anyone?? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 11:05 pm

If you have not tried baiting your sparrow traps with little white feathers, you should. The sparrows find them irresistable. Just glue them down (hot glue gun, etc) inside the trap. Poke one or two near the entrace that the can retrieve. This gives them a sense of power and works like catnip!
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

Feathers anyone?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feathers anyone??   Feathers anyone?? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 11:32 pm

Interesting, I hadn't tried that before. I'll do that this week!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sparrowsquad.com
Monty

Monty

Feathers anyone?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feathers anyone??   Feathers anyone?? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 8:49 pm

I'll have to find someone who has chickens and can spare some feathers and try that myself, when the weather breaks. We're getting snow, again. I've been trying to think of another bait to use, something that won't make me worry about catching the wrong birds.

Great Idea!
Back to top Go down
mikenlinda
Purple Martin Adviser

Feathers anyone?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feathers anyone??   Feathers anyone?? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 9:49 pm

Perfect, the little down feathers seem to be their preference. If you pre-bait with a couple of feathers they can get, like poked into the entry way or into the ground near the cage, that seems to be just enough to make them crazy! Of course, for this to work, they must be in nest building mode. If they are like the ones here, they are ALWAYS in nest building mode!

You are right Monty, much safer for the other types of birds. I usually try everything, bread, seed, cracked corn, feathers and even little strips of plastic ( kind of like cigarette pack cellophane-they like that too)
Back to top Go down
Monty

Monty

Feathers anyone?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feathers anyone??   Feathers anyone?? EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 7:51 am

I emailed mom and a friend of mine last night, and spoke with another friend who has chickens. I'm going to collect as many as I can, not only for baiting purposes, but also to offer them to the tree swallows for their nests. That's a treat to get the swallows used to you providing them feathers for their nests. Toss a handful into the air and watch their arial acrobatics while scooping them up!
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

Feathers anyone?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feathers anyone??   Feathers anyone?? EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Great ideas there! That sure would be a site monty, hope that works!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sparrowsquad.com
Janec

Feathers anyone?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feathers anyone??   Feathers anyone?? EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 4:00 pm

Feathers? How do you guys come up with this stuff?

And here I thought I was creative for catching a sparrow in a cricket cage!
Back to top Go down
Monty

Monty

Feathers anyone?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feathers anyone??   Feathers anyone?? EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 5:01 pm

It is a sight to see! My neighbor Russell and I both had barn swallows under our eaves, plus his and my tree swallows. I'd take the paper bag of feathers out to his front yard, walk and toss. The swallows came from everywhere. It was beautiful. Some barn swallows would hover to create an airflow to push a feather off the ground, catch it, and off it'd go with its prize. Incredible!
Back to top Go down
CornyTraps

CornyTraps

Feathers anyone?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feathers anyone??   Feathers anyone?? EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 11:21 am

Excellent info thanks. I've used dried grass to camouflage my latest trap. I noticed the HOSP were picking through and flying off my grassy camouflage!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Feathers anyone?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feathers anyone??   Feathers anyone?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Feathers anyone??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Bird Discussion :: Invasive Bird Species Management-
Jump to:  

web counter html code
Free forums hosting | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com