Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparrow SquadHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Squirrel Aging

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

Squirrel Aging Empty
PostSubject: Squirrel Aging   Squirrel Aging EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 11:59 pm

Many people have problems with these critters when they are managing their songbirds, so this can come in handy when planning a squirrel program. The age of the squirrel raiding your feeders can tell you if they are breeding nearby or other population traits that might help.

Cooks and hunters use these guidelines:

Assuming your squirrel is not collected on the subway and has no cards in its possession, here are the standard tests for age. None of them are foolproof, so do them all and get a general impression.

1. Ear pliability. A younger animal will have soft, pliable ears even after rigor mortis sets in. An older animal will have dry, stiff ears.

2. Fur condition and tightness to skin. An older animal will have drier fur with more hollowness to the individual hair shafts, and the pelt will be tighter to the muscle. The skin may also be thicker, and show less of a fatty deposit on the underside.

3. Teeth size, coloration and wear. Older animals have worn, smoother and yellower teeth. Whiter, smaller, sharper teeth are the sign of a younger animal.

4. General muscle tone, flexibility, tenderness. A younger animal will retain more pliability even when dead, and a finger poked deeply into a haunch will cause the meat to dent in and then rebound more quickly.

5. Ossification, thickening or fusing in the bone joints, thick, toughened pads on the bottoms of the paws and the leg joints or a protuberant spine and shoulders can signify an older animal in poorer condition.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sparrowsquad.com
mikenlinda
Purple Martin Adviser

Squirrel Aging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Aging   Squirrel Aging EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 10:23 am

Speaking of squirrels, I went out to check my repeater trap (1male & 1 female sparrow) just in time to see a squirrel sitting next to it, eating some of the bird seed, and trying to get in!! Needless to say, when he heard me coming he was gone in a flash.
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

Squirrel Aging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Aging   Squirrel Aging EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 12:42 pm

Well you know what you have to do!
Back to top Go down
mikenlinda
Purple Martin Adviser

Squirrel Aging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Aging   Squirrel Aging EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 6:51 pm

Mad
Back to top Go down
grosehexe

grosehexe

Squirrel Aging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Aging   Squirrel Aging EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 10:59 am

well i don't know how old mine squirrel is but he is destructive to my feeders! chewed up my plastic one ! and on top of it he build a nest next to my feeders on the tree!!!!!!
Rolling Eyes
I bought some corn for him on the cob- he is not interested!!!! Sleep lol!
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

Squirrel Aging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Aging   Squirrel Aging EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 am

That's too bad grose, sounds like they have made themselves at home. My squirrels aren't interested in corn either, I assume that's due to all the free seed!
Back to top Go down
mikenlinda
Purple Martin Adviser

Squirrel Aging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Aging   Squirrel Aging EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Hello all! I have four bird feeders with an assortment of different feed. The squirrel population here is huge! Normally I lose feeders to them each year. This year I greased the poles with axle grease from the automotive department at Walmart. Worked like a charm! The first little guy jumped up onto the pole and immediately slid back down. IT WAS AWESOME!! My son and I watched with delight! Ever since that day, I have not even had to re-grease the poles! I have about 6 wonderfully behaved squirrels now that help to clean up the ground! Love it!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Squirrel Aging Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squirrel Aging   Squirrel Aging Empty

Back to top Go down

Squirrel Aging
Page 1 of 1