Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparrow SquadHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

bats

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Monty

Monty

bats Empty
PostSubject: bats   bats EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 9:15 pm

I also have bats. I made a small bat roost box and erected it in my backyard. I don't have a huge colony, but I have a few to entertain me during the summer. One of them is hibernating in my basement right now.
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 10:16 pm

Awesome, I love bats. Just make sure they don't make a home in your basement, they can cause a huge mess and federal law states that you cant even legally touch them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sparrowsquad.com
Monty

Monty

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 6:14 am

No worries. I have an inoperable chimney that I leave the ash door and another hole in it open for their entry/exit.
Back to top Go down
mikenlinda
Purple Martin Adviser

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 6:38 pm

Wow! Sooo cool! We have actually been talking about hanging a bat box. They are quite expenses and hard to locate.

My husband said if I get him the info, he will hang one.

I tried last year, but got totally sidetrack with the martins and then forgot about it. I know we have bats in the area though. We see them flying around from time to time.
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 8:01 pm

I built one a few years back out of scrap wood. The dimensions were right but I never hung it.
Back to top Go down
Monty

Monty

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 9:17 pm

Get on the Bat Conservation International website --www.batcon.org, I think-- they should have all the info you need. My wife pointed out some bat boxes at our local Big R store recently, and not knowing any of the specs, asked me what I thought of them. One quick glance told me everything: they are too open, bats like their roosting boxes close --3/4" at least, no partitions, the back board had the only clinging grooves. Paper wasps are as bad getting into bat boxes as they are bird houses. These she showed me would have been a haven for wasps.

And, the boxes had cracks in them. Bats, like people, want a home that is weather-tight, these were not. I don't remember the price, but they were too expensive for how crappy they were built.
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 12:48 pm

Thanks for that info. Last bat houses I saw in retail stores were around $29 or so, of course that was years ago. Either way that's way too much money for a product that doesnt work.
Back to top Go down
Monty

Monty

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 6:32 pm

My day has been made 100% better! I was just in the basement grabbing the small box that I intended to make a hibernaculum (safe hibernating place) for the "bat" to hibernate in. I was looking in the crack on my little guest, checking to make sure he's safe and secure, and thought I noticed something.

I bent down for a better angle and realized, there are two bats in that crevice! I was elated. I began to check more nooks, I thought, "That's all." I don't know how I saw it, but I found another. Our house's foundation is limestone with mortar chinking. The third one wedged itself between the limestones. I'm ecstatic! Upon further inspection, the single bat seemed bigger and darker. I believe the two are little browns and the single is a big brown.

I'm definitely constructing a hibernaculum now. I want them as safe as possible while guests in my basement. I'm just going to staple nylon screen to an old doorjamb down there, then screw a screen-wrapped piece of plywood over that, leaving a 3/4" space between.

Not a bat, but BATS in my basement... woo hoo! hahahaahahahahaha
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 8:00 pm

Awesome! You've got some new friends and alot less bugs all in one, can't beat that!
Back to top Go down
Painfully Pink

Painfully Pink

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 9:32 pm

ain't it dangerous to have bats in your basement? don't they carry rabies?
Back to top Go down
Monty

Monty

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 9:39 pm

No more so, Pink, than any other mammal. Besides, they have to contract it somewhere too. I don't handle them at all. If I find them, I merely peak at them, and marvel. And too, when I consider how many people kill bats when they accidentally get in their house, or would make an easy kill while they're sleeping, I consider these bats lucky that they're hibernating in MY basement. I provide every comfort I can to keep them healthy and safe.
Back to top Go down
Painfully Pink

Painfully Pink

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 9:46 pm

dunno why I thought they were carriers, and yes they are lucky indeed, good to keep ur basement free from bugs.
Back to top Go down
Monty

Monty

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 9:48 pm

Well, they won't keep the basement bug-free, they're just hibernating down there. When the time comes, they'll leave, probably up the chimney, and hopefully right into the outdoor bat roost for the summer.
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 10:18 pm

They should pop out about the time the bugs start getting ridiculous down there and they'll be hungry so even if they don't find your box I'm sure they will thin the bug herds a bit on their way.

Are you getting cicadas down there over the past couple years?
Back to top Go down
Monty

Monty

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 10:25 pm

Oh yah, every year.
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 11:04 pm

I got to see a big brown snatch one off a tree limb when I was stationed at Ft. Campbell on the TN/KY line. That was a national geographicmoment for sure.
Back to top Go down
wethereckoning

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 2:05 am

Bats are cool. When we were kids we would throw a basketball into the air and watch them zoom towards it then fly around it at the last minute. We had a colony living in an old dead tree in the woods behind our house and they would always come out and eat up the bugs for us to watch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

bats Empty
PostSubject: Re: bats   bats Empty

Back to top Go down

bats
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: General Discussion-
Jump to:  

web counter html code
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com