Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparrow SquadHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

T-14 for purple martins

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mikenlinda
Purple Martin Adviser

T-14 for purple martins Empty
PostSubject: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Well, got my T-14 up with 3 nests open. I added the decoy to the top and played the daytime chatter today for the first time this season! Now we wait and watch...
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

PostSubject: Re: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 11:40 pm

That's great! I look forward to tracking your progress!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sparrowsquad.com
Janec

PostSubject: Re: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 11:40 pm

I've never used the calls before, does that work for you?
Back to top Go down
birderbill

PostSubject: Re: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 11:47 pm

It's hard to tell if they come because of the recordings or if they are coming anyway, but it couldn't hurt.
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

PostSubject: Re: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 3:54 am

I agree, give it a shot. I've heard great things about them, and if the martins come after using them keep using them!
Back to top Go down
mikenlinda
Purple Martin Adviser

PostSubject: recordings do work...i think   T-14 for purple martins EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 11:20 am

I believe they do work. I used them last year. I would go out in the afternoon and watch for a while. Then I would start the CD. Within minutes, the martins would begin flying overhead and then come down to check out the house. In fact, many other birds showed up also. The large predator birds would soar around too, and of course the dreaded sparrows.

We have had terribly cold, rainy weather here lately. I want the martins that are in the area to know they have a warm dry place to stay. I am not sure how far away they will be attracted.
Back to top Go down
Painfully Pink

Painfully Pink

PostSubject: Re: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 12:58 pm

Do you have the t-14 insulated? I'm hearing about some people's martins dieing from the cold in some parts of the country.
Back to top Go down
mikenlinda
Purple Martin Adviser

PostSubject: Re: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 4:59 pm

No. No insulation. The house is made of red cedar. Inside is a bed of pine straw, it is very comfy/cozy for them. The problem, I believe is that there are not many insects for them to eat and also the journey is very cold and wet. I think once they find safe housing they are ok except for the low number of insects at this time.
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

PostSubject: Re: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 2:16 pm

Hmm, I wonder if you could import some dragonflies.
Back to top Go down
mikenlinda
Purple Martin Adviser

PostSubject: hmmm   T-14 for purple martins EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 5:57 pm

good thinking, that is their main diet! So far though, I have only heard of scrambled eggs and flipping crickets to them.
Back to top Go down
birderbill

PostSubject: Re: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 9:58 pm

I know people purchase and raise dragonflys to control mosquitos, might be able to find something on google. I'll look it up tonight.
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

PostSubject: Re: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 4:13 am

Sounds crazy, but you could hang something and tie crickets to it with fishing line. If you tie it around their "neck" the head should pop off when they're grabbed. That would probably be a pain but might be efficient. You could probably even tie them off from the t-14 itself. Who knows.
Back to top Go down
mikenlinda
Purple Martin Adviser

PostSubject: crickets   T-14 for purple martins EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 11:49 am

The only way I have heard is that you order the crickets, put them in the freezer for 2 hours, then they are easy to handle because they are so sluggish. You then put them in the bowl of a plastic spoon as literally flip them into the air. It takes some persistance but the martins do learn to eat them. I have seen videos online of people doing it and the martins flying all around catching them.

By the way, I just set my repeater trap for the sparrows!
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

PostSubject: Re: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 2:19 pm

That sounds entertaining as can be, seems like it would be a great video for our community! Do you have a recorder?
Back to top Go down
mikenlinda
Purple Martin Adviser

PostSubject: Re: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 8:29 pm

I have never done it personally. I saw a video online somewhere.
Back to top Go down
mikenlinda
Purple Martin Adviser

PostSubject: ah oh   T-14 for purple martins EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 8:33 pm

No luck with the trap today, however my decoy did take a major hit from some large predator. It was sitting up looking pretty at about 4:00pm. My grandson looked out at about 5:45 and decoy had been bombed! I had to lower the house and fix the little guy. I also went ahead and opened all the nests. I am afraid the martins might be in the area and not coming to the house because they think I am closed!
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

PostSubject: Re: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 9:03 pm

Well that would be an awesome sight!

You might be right about the martins, may as well try. Seems like the martins are early all over the country.
Back to top Go down
Painfully Pink

Painfully Pink

PostSubject: Purple martins?   T-14 for purple martins EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 3:46 pm

can I get them in dallas? Shocked
Back to top Go down
mikenlinda
Purple Martin Adviser

PostSubject: painfully pink   T-14 for purple martins EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi Pink,

If you are asking if you can attract pm's in Dallas, the answer is absolutely yes! In fact, the state of Texas has one of the largest populations in the US.
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

PostSubject: Re: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 2:35 pm

Interesting, I wonder why they don't come out this way! We do get alot of swallows though.
Back to top Go down
Painfully Pink

Painfully Pink

PostSubject: Re: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 7:03 pm

I am gonna set up my house wish me luck, see if i can rid of some of theese bugs
Back to top Go down
mikenlinda
Purple Martin Adviser

PostSubject: Re: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 6:29 pm

I know the pms flock across Texas, I was not aware they didn't reach El Paso! Interesting...

Good luck pain!! You can do it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: T-14 for purple martins   T-14 for purple martins Empty

Back to top Go down

T-14 for purple martins
Page 1 of 1