Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparrow SquadHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ventilation

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Monty

Monty

ventilation Empty
PostSubject: ventilation   ventilation EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 6:17 pm

A man I work with was telling me today that it was suggested to him not to put the ventilation holes at the top, or not to worry about that, so much as, leaving a space at the bottom. He said he's since, while installing the floor board (having cut it short enough), leaving a 3/8" gap between the back of the floor and the back board. This allows incoming fresh air to rise through the floor and forces the hot air out of the top.

I asked him if he uses hardware cloth subfloors to deter blowfly larvae? He said no, but he'd check into it. The way I see it, that's a twofold plus for the birds. Not only do they have more ventilation from bottom to top, but the air would pass beneath the subfloor as well, moving even more air around inside.

I think I'll try that with my next batch of boxes. I have too many already waiting to be occupied to/nesting season's too close, to try and change the bottoms now.
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

ventilation Empty
PostSubject: Re: ventilation   ventilation EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 2:00 am

Sounds like a plan, I don't see why that wouldn't work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sparrowsquad.com

ventilation
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Bird Discussion :: Your Backyard Birds-
Jump to:  

web counter html code
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com