Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Welcome to the Southern Wildlife Network!

This is a great place for the bird lover and wildlife enthusiast alike. Please take a moment to read about our organization on the home page.

Join our free forum and be part of the community! Simply click the button at the button of this box labeled "Register" and follow the directions. You will need an active email address to complete the registration process.

VS Ryan
Founder/Administrator
Southern Wildlife Network
NWF Habitat Steward Host in Training!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparrow SquadHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hi From Wisconsin

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Woodlandgal

Hi From Wisconsin Empty
PostSubject: Hi From Wisconsin   Hi From Wisconsin EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 11:40 pm

Hi everyone! I have only been familiar with what House Sparrows do to Bluebirds for a couple of years. Thanks to Monty trying to educate people on that old forum, who argued non-stop FOR the sparrow, I had to study up on them.
I grew up with House Sparrows on my home farm and had them by the100s it seemed on our farm for 30 years. All I knew was they hung around where cattle were fed eating the grain and crapping on everything. We would shoot a few occassionally , but never made a dent in their population.
Now we live in 15 acres of woods where I discovered Bluebirds nest naturally in tree cavities. Imagine my excitement the first time I saw four fledglings on a branch! So far there are no HOSPs here, but they are on a farm 1/8 mile away so I am keeping my eyes open. I do not feed mixed birdfeed to attract them.
Can we talk about Starlings here? Another bird that congregates on farms and around feed mills just like the Sparrow. Last year we eliminated the Starling family that tried to set up a home here in an old woodpecker hole. Shortly after that I saw another one flying out of our woods in the direction of the farm, so our battle is on!
I'm glad to be on this forum and hope to learn alot.

Pat
WC WI
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

Hi From Wisconsin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi From Wisconsin   Hi From Wisconsin EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 11:59 pm

Welcome to the squad! You are a perfect example of our mission- to raise awareness and educate the public. Thanks to monty you were led to discover the problem and by coming here you obviously found it!

It sounds like you are quite familiar with these pests and we are glad to have you. Not only are you free to discuss starlings but you can talk about controlling any pests that interest you without fear of being attacked for your views. I am a nuisance wildlife control operator and should be able to help with most of your pest and invasive problems.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sparrowsquad.com
Monty

Monty

Hi From Wisconsin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi From Wisconsin   Hi From Wisconsin EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi Pat!

Glad you made it. You're gonna love it here, as much as the rest of us do. For any who've seen the movie Braveheart, and remember the end where he yells, "FREEDOM!" That's how we feel. We're elated to speak freely. Oh, I'm sure we're gonna get a few flustered feathers now and then, that's to be expected. But at least we won't have the out and out battles we used to.
Back to top Go down
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

Hi From Wisconsin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi From Wisconsin   Hi From Wisconsin EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 7:50 pm

I have all but begged people to come and debate me on the site to no avail, I imagine if feathers get ruffled it will be sort and sweet.
Back to top Go down
Paleface

Paleface

Hi From Wisconsin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi From Wisconsin   Hi From Wisconsin EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:43 pm

Welcome Pat!

Monty, you, and myself really had to fight some major battles on the "other site" in the last 2 years. I really feel it was worth it! I know you feel just as considered about our native birds, i.e. Bluebirds, as I do.

Ryan, I think it is funny that no one has challenged you on the "other site". Hmmm....what's up with that? Very Happy

Again....Pat, I'm glad you are here! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://jean-livingsimple.blogspot.com/
VS Ryan
Admin
VS Ryan

Hi From Wisconsin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi From Wisconsin   Hi From Wisconsin EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 12:11 am

I have my theories about that Jean, but it wouldn't be professional of me to express them Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi From Wisconsin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi From Wisconsin   Hi From Wisconsin Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi From Wisconsin
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Welcome New Members :: Introductions-
Jump to:  

web counter html code